Friday, May 11, 2012

The Miracle of Life.

Yesterday, I had an experience that was absolutely amazing. And so very unexpected.

After we got back from dinner, Kayla and I decided that we should go stargazing 'since it was our last night together...

We always go down to the beach and sit in those chairs so Heidi and I got ready and got E. Silva and started walking down the beach, towards Kayla's bungalow.

We were laughing and being crazy as we walked along the beach, which is typical.
We were approaching Kayla and some others when a kind of notice a large mound in the sand. It is an object that looks like a rock.

But then someone says the words: "Be quiet, there is a sea turtle nesting"
What?

Heidi kinda freaks out (because of other things and not the turtle) and she screams. Not a good thing for turtles.
We cautiously move around it and meet up with others nearby (because we almost walked right into it...) and we start watching.

Mother Nature is amazing.

I was completely mesmerized by this sea turtle.

Unfortunately, words travels faster than lightning in groups like this so after a few minutes, there were lots of people, making lots of noise.

I did see the turtle laying it's eggs, covering them back up and then heading back out to the ocean.
It was all really fast though because she started a while before we got there. We even thought that we scared her off and that she didn't lay her eggs.

But once she left, the Turtle Man in charge came over and did his job, with an eager audience.
He showed a turtle egg, explained his job and process (he adds a little vial thing with his name and number in with the eggs so people know he's in charge) and then he built a little sand mound and roped it off with caution tape so people can't disrupt the little nest.
It was his first nest in his beach area so he was pretty excited.
And the whole time, I was absolutely jealous of his job.

Seeing that reaffirmed my love for aquatic animals and my want to study them.
It was such a lovely evening. Especially since it was so random.

And because it happened to be Mother's Day here in Mexico.
Best part of the trip, I would say.

(Even though people were rudely annoying during it.)
Such a splendid way to end our time in Mexico. :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's amazing. I always hear how cool it is to see that, that and when they hatch. I am again sincerely jealous of your adventures.
    I am so glad you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle, I thought I would share:
    These word verification things have gotten quite complex. Have you tried it the sound verification way? I thought maybe if I clicked the little symbol it would try to pronounce the verification words, but instead it said random words to me to type. Why does this exist? Is it for blind people? Sometimes it is more fun. Give it a whirl when you get a chance...

    ReplyDelete