Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Workjobs.

Back in middle school, for the last 10 minutes of school everyday, we had a time called 'workjobs'. Basically, we would just take out the trash and clean the tables and tidy up the room (because we didn't have janitors to do it). We always made fun of the name because in Spanish, workjob translates to trabajartrabajar. Which is the same as saying workwork or jobjob. How ridiculous.

I was just thinking about this today, not because I had to do workjobs but because I started work yesterday. I was supposed to start Monday but it didn't really matter much. Although, I did have a fairly eventful first day at work.

I got there at 12:30, the time I was supposed to. And Fran was there. She was nice and we kinda talked. And then we kinda got did some work and she showed me how stuff worked and stuff. We helped Ron assemble some of the tax returns. We helped people ship stuff. It was easy and nice and pretty low-key. But she kept leaving to go take phone calls with her doctor (because she's very pregnant and due in about a week) but I didn't really notice it or think it was that weird at all. Until she told me that she thought her water had broken and that her husband was on the way so they could go to the hospital.

So she left. And there I was, my first day on the job, and I was already in charge. Luckily, I knew how to do most things and there wasn't a whole lot to do anyway. But I was there a good two hours by myself. (Well, Ron was upstairs but he was busy and didn't know what to do in the store either. I just hung out there and met my new friends Chuck and Melanie (the UPS and the FedEx delivery people). They're super nice. I love them. haha I helped Ron with a few more tax returns and then just sat around and watched the clock basically. Or when people came in, they would ask where Fran went and I would have to tell them the long story. But it was a false alarm with the baby so she came back at like 10 to 5 and helped me close and everything which was good because I had no idea how to close at all.

Well, then today at work, we didn't really have anything to do. I did get to put all the mail away in the boxes which was fun. It reminded me of the good ol' times in kindergarten where on Valentine's Day, we had a little post office in the classroom and we all got to be the mailman and put the letters in everyone's little cubby. haha I loved doing that, so now I'm getting paid to do it. We also counted two huge boxes of quarters and rolled them. And we helped Ron again. And we answered a bunch of phone calls. And then we just sat there and waited for something to happen. As boring as the job is, I think I'll be able to endure for these 10 more weeks just because I'm going to make so much money. Haha :)

Hmm, so yep, that's my super exciting job and all it entails.
Tomorrow I meet my new work friend who is taking over for Fran (which is actually a kind of ridiculous idea actually...). It shall be interesting...

1 comment:

  1. well I'm impressed that you could work without the girl helping you. I would have freaked out, thinking I couldn't do it

    ReplyDelete